FAQ: Powder Coating Metal Finish
- What is powder coating?
- Introduced in North America more than 30 years ago, powder coating has become the fastest growing finishing technology in use today. Powder is applied electrostatically by charging the powder particles which are then applied directly to the grounded metal surface. The charged powder adheres to the surface until it enters a curing oven. There the powder melts, bonds and cures to the desired surface resulting in a coating which provides a durable, high quality, uniform finish.
- This process is mainly used for the coating of metals and creates a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. And since powder coating is dry paint containing no solvents, it is safe for the environment.
- Why powder coat your motorcycle or car parts, appliances, industrial parts?
- Powder coating is cost effective and is superior to most liquid coatings. Powder coating is tough. It won't chip, crack, or peel. Powder coating is extremely resistant to abrasion, corrosion, and chemical degrading. Powder coating adheres better than conventional paint does. Powder coating has superior weatherability. Powder coating is attractive coming in a wide array of colors and textures. Powder coating is easy to clean and maintain.
- What paint colors does powder coating come in?
- The sky is the limit as far as choosing colors for your powder coating job. Just click on our color selection page for a sampling of your color options. We can also apply a special clear powder coating for applications like brass and copper that locks in the shine, and eliminates the need for all that buffing and polishing.
- What can be powder coated?
- The short answer is that almost anything metal will benefit from powder coating. The applications are truly as wide open as your imagination will allow. Here's a partial list of some items that can be powder coated:
- How do I maintain my powder coated metal parts, vehicles, & appliances?
- Maintaining that great powder coated look is easy. Using a neutral detergent, just wash the coating down with soapy water and rinse off with clean water. Regular washing every 6 months under normal conditions, and more often in more severe marine and industrial applications will keep your powder coating job looking like new.
- What about surface preparation for my powder coating job?
- Leave that to the experts at Powder Pro. We will prep your job right whether it takes sandblasting, or glass bead blasting to take it right down to the bone. We will then apply the right zinc primer so that the finished powder coating job will be flawless and meet your exacting standards and our own.
- How do I get started with my powder coating project?
- The first step is to get the part(s) you want powder coated to our New Bedford, MA, location. If you are located nearby in southeastern MA, you can simply bring us your powder coating job. We are located at 194 Riverside Avenue (Rear), New Bedford, MA 02746. We are open 8 AM until 5 PM, Monday through Friday. If you are outside the southern New England area, you can ship us your part(s) via any major shipper/carrier. Upon completion, we will carefully package your powder coated parts and ship the finished product to you.